Sunday, June 20, 2010

Learning to be a Mary and not a Martha

As the week is over, the students left this morning, I reflect on all that happened this week. First I started thinking about all the little details that went wrong: when dinner wasn’t served on time, when JC didn’t say the right thing at worship, how some of the staff wasn’t good at helping out when we need it in the kitchen etc. I wanted everything to go just right and just how I pictured it. The Lord reminded me that the goal as whole was actually met because the Lord moved as He need to. We had people who dedicated their lives to Jesus for the first time, leaders who prayed for someone for the first time, lots of tear shed while we washed each others feet and while we burned the sins that were nailed onto the cross. The Lord did show up in a mighty ways and He will continue to teach me this summer how to be a Mary and enjoy the Lord’s work instead of a Martha who needs all the details in place while missing the Lord’s gentle movement.

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42

No comments:

Post a Comment